Both the Basswood and Woodland Compost Sites are yard material drop off sites for residential yard materials from Manitowoc County. There is no charge to drop off yard materials from Manitowoc County residential households. When entering the compost sites drive slowly, obey traffic signs and the compost site staff. Be sure to only bring acceptable items. Your load may be inspected prior to drop off and any unacceptable materials or contaminated loads will be turned away. Call ahead if you have questions about a particular item.
Contractors and businesses using the site must obtain and display our compost permit.
- Residential yard materials only
- All contractors/businesses must display permit
- All brush and branches must be placed on the brush pile
- All yard clippings and rakings must be placed on the yard material pile
- Drive slowly in the site
- Your load is subject to random inspection by Recycling Center staff
- Loads may be refused for contamination.
- Remove any trash from your load, take your bags, pots, and other unacceptable items home with you for disposal
- Stay away from any heavy equipment operating in the area
- Site conditions may limit access to the drop off areas
- Do not use the site before or after the posted hours
- Do not drive into the restricted areas
Illegal dumping is subject to fine per Manitowoc Code Section 6.17. Placing unacceptable items in an otherwise designated recycling container or pile is considered illegal dumping and is subject to fine. Contractors/businesses dumping without a permit may be subject to illegal dumping fines.