The Manitowoc County recycling Center is looking for volunteers to assist with tasks at the Compost Sites and Recycling Depot. This is a great way to learn more about recycling and composting in your community! All volunteers will be trained by the site manager. If you are interested in helping with recycling and composting efforts in our community this is a great and flexible opportunity. Contact the Recycling Center Main Office at 683-4333 for more details or to sign up.
Volunteer Program Details
- All volunteers must fill out the Manitowoc County Volunteer Application and meet with the Operations Manager.
- All volunteers will receive initial training and checkups from the site Operations Manager.
- Volunteer tasks include:
- Control litter by routinely monitoring the sites and picking up… help keep our compost and environment clean
- Notify the main office of any illegal dumping.
- Greet and direct customers at the Recycling Depot, Basswood Compost Site, or Woodland Compost Site.
- Help answer customer questions.
- Inspect incoming loads and provide friendly feedback.
- Record temperatures in compost piles.
- Tasks can be modified to the comfort level of each volunteer.
- Volunteers earn freebies or discounts for various products and services at our facility as they log hours. Discounts include compost products and electronics recycling services.
- For every 10-15hrs of service, volunteers may receive a voucher for a yard of wood mulch, screened compost, disposal of a small tv, or items of similar value.
- The Recycling Center will provide a reflective safety vest, trash grabber, a container/bag, and any informational handouts that may be needed.
- Dress for the weather! Work is primarily outdoors.
- Bring your favorite gloves and footwear appropriate for dust or mud.
- Work when you want and for how long you want.
- Volunteer hours can be used to fill service requirements for school or court if needed.