Help keep Manitowoc County roadsides beautiful!
- Reduce litter along Wisconsin’s highways
- Build statewide support for the anti-litter and highway beautification programs
- Educate the traveling public to properly dispose of litter
- Enhance the environment and beautify Wisconsin’s roadsides
What does an Adopt-A-Highway group do?
- Each qualified group takes responsibility for litter control on approximately a two mile segment of a Manitowoc County highway.
- The group picks up litter on this segment at least three times per year between April 1 and November 1.
- The Adopt-A-Highway program emphasizes safety. It is important to be very careful when working on the roadsides. For more information, view the Adopt-A-Highway Safety page.
- Groups do not work in dangerous areas like medians, bridges, or steep slopes.
- Work is permitted until the group notifies the department of their intent to abandon their segment.
Who can Adopt-A-Highway?
- Any group organized for some special purpose or task can be a sponsor, except partisan or political groups.
- Each group must provide one adult supervisor for every five or six volunteers.
- All volunteers must be at least 11 years of age or in the 6th grade. No other persons should be on the work site.
- Volunteers working adjacent to 4-lane expressways, freeways, or interstates must be at least 16 years of age.
- Please click to view the Manitowoc County Open Sections Available for Adoption
What does Manitowoc County Highway Department provide?
- The department furnishes safety vests, portable “people working” signs, the safety training video, trash bags, trash bag pick-up and disposal, and two acknowledgment signs marking your highway.
- The department will install the sign announcing your group’s litter control sponsorship.
- Names must fit within the maximum of three lines. You will find specific information on the application form.
- The WisDOT reserves the right to work with the sponsors in revising group names or acronyms that may be offensive to the public.
- No fees will be charged to groups accepted into the Adopt-a-Highway program.
How can you apply?
- Groups interested in adopting a highway need to identify an open segment of road they would like to adopt from the Manitowoc County Adopt-A-Highway Open Segment List
- Contact the Manitowoc County Highway Department for the segment you would like to adopt.
- Once your roadway segment is confirmed, fill out an Application Form and send it to the Manitowoc County Adopt-A-Highway Coordinator
- Adopt-A-Highway segments are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Your group may be placed on a waiting list if all available highway segments are already reserved or if the amount of applications received exceeds available funding for signs and supplies.
- Once your application is signed and approved by the Department this becomes your permit to work on the right of way and your assigned segment in the Adopt-A-Highway litter control program.
- After all group participants have reviewed the safety training video Adopt-A-Highway Safety Tips video and acquired the proper safety gear, vest and “people working” signs, you may begin cleaning your assigned segment.
- Approved permits are effective indefinitely or until the department receives a Notice of Abandonment from your group. This notice tells the department your group has decided to cease its clean-up activities. That segment will then be made available to others wishing to Adopt-A-Highway.